We hope the resources provided for you below will inform and inspire more awareness, action, urgency, and solidarity in the global fight to free prisoners from behind bars. The following list of resources should not be seen as exhaustive, comprehensive or finalized. Instead, they can provide useful background context for navigating the art on this website and serve as entry points to start making connections between the two systems of incarceration and those held captive within them. Ultimately, we hope that through art and education, we take another step towards freeing them all.
- Primers, Syllabi, Fact Sheets
- Documents, Reports, Statements
- Articles, Books, Writings
- Videos, Podcasts
- Prisoner Support
- Summary of the History of Injustice Against Palestine and Incarceration in Palestine – Art Against Imprisonment
- Document prepared by the Art Against Imprisonment coalition to summarize the history of Israeli colonization in Palestine and incarceration of Palestinians.
- Primer on Palestine – Lisa Hajjar and Joel Beinin (document)
- A thorough primer that gives both a historic and current overview of Israeli colonization of Palestine.
- Prison Abolition Syllabus 2.0
- Comprehensive syllabus on the prison system in the United States – containing books, primary sources and multimedia resources – seeking to contextualize and highlight prison organizing and prison abolitionist efforts from the 13th Amendment’s rearticulation of slavery to current resistance to mass incarceration, solitary confinement, and prison labor exploitation.
- For the Love of Palestine – 2016
- Booklet featuring stories of Palestinian women prisoners and building U.S. solidarity with their struggle growing out of the Prison, Labor and Academic Delegation to Palestine in 2016.
- Minors in Jeopardy: Violation of the Rights of Palestinian Minors by Israel’s Military Courts – B’Tselem
- A report on the Palestinain children in Israeli prisons.
- Palestine Prisons and Sunshine in Palestine – Mumia Abu Jamal
- Statement written by imprisoned journalist and activist Mumia Abu Jamal on Palestine and Palestinian prisoners.
- “We Stand with Palestine in the Spirit of “Sumud” – The U.S. Prisoner, Labor and Academic Solidarity Delegation to Palestine
- Statement from activists, academics, and formerly incarcerated people in solidarity with Palestinian prisoners.
- Captive Revolution – Palestinian Women’s Anti-Colonial Struggle Within the Israeli Prison System – Nahla Abdo
- Stories and analysis of Palestinian women who were imprisoned in Israeli prisons in the 1960’s-1980’s.
- Freedom Is a Constant Struggle: Ferguson, Palestine, and the Foundations of a Movement – Angela Davis and Frank Barat
- Highlights connections and analyzes today’s struggles against state terror, from Ferguson to Palestine.
- Incarcerating the Crisis: Freedom Struggles and the Rise of the Neoliberal State – Jordan Camp
- Traces the rise of the neoliberal carceral state and the US’s attempts to crush radical social movements with imprisonment.
- Institute of Palestine Studies – Palestinian Prisoners
- A collection of articles on Palestinian prisoners.
- Prisons, the Black Liberation Movement and the Struggle for Palestine – Ahmad Sa’adat
- An preface written by imprisoned Palestinian leader Ahmad Sa’adat for a new edition of Huey P. Newton’s Revolutionary Suicide.
- Prisoner Solidarity from Palestine to Pelican Bay – Nora Barrows-Friedman
- Article on Palestine to Pelican Bay in which Palestinian activist groups called for solidarity with incarcerated people in Pelican Bay Prison and with Palestinian prisoners going on hunger strike.
- The Symbol of Political Prisoners Resonates Beyond Borders – Devyn Springer
- Article on the importance of Palestinian political prisoners in transnational solidairty.
- These Chains Will Be Broken: Palestine Stories of Struggle and Defiance in Israeli Prisons – Ramzy Baroud
- A powerful collection of stories on the reality of Palestinian imprisonment as told by Palestinian prisoners themselves
- ADDAMEER Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association
A Palestinian non-governmental, civil institution that works to support Palestinian political prisoners held in Israeli and Palestinian prisons.
- All of Us or None
All of Us or None is a grassroots civil and human rights organization fighting for the rights of formerly-and currently-incarcerated people and our families.
- Alliance for Global Justice Political Prisoner List
Comprehensive list of current political prisoners in the U.S.
- Anarchist Black Cross Federation
Prisoner Information since 1995.
- California Coalition for Women Prisoners
An abolitionist organization that works with incarcerated and formerly incarcerated women and transgender prisoners building advocacy, information sharing and community.
- Critical Resistance
U.S. organization that seeks to build an international movement to end the Prison Industrial Complex by challenging the belief that caging and controlling people makes us safe.
- DCI (Defense of Children) – Palestine
Defense for Children International – Palestine (DCIP) is an independent, local Palestinian child rights organization dedicated to defending and promoting the rights of children living in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip.
- Freedom Archives
Get email updates about prisons in the US and political prisoners and international prison coverage. Searchable resources as early as 2005.
- Jericho Movement
National movement working for the freedom of political prisoners in the U.S.
- National Council for Incarcerated and Formerly Incarcerated Women and Girls
A national organization dedicated to ending the incarceration of women and girls in the U.S.
- National Coalition to Protect Civil Freedoms
A coalition of national and local organizations working to educate the public about the erosion of civil and political freedoms in the society, and the abuses of prisoners within the U.S. criminal justice system especially after 9/11.
International network of organizers and activists working to build solidarity with Palestinian prisoners in their struggle for freedom with online journal covering news on these subjects.
- The Fire Inside Newsletter – 1996-2020
Newsletter of the California Coalition for Women Prisoners with articles, art and poetry by people in women’s prisoners, loved ones and supporters.